Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tip of the night.

When wearing your mask, be sure it fits comfortably. Make sure it is not too tight or too loose. How do you know? Experiment! You may have to do this in front of a mirror or with a helper. First, go ahead and start your machine and put your mask on. Next, adjust the straps in different ways, either tightening or loosening in order to get different feels of fit. This is the part where you may need a helper or the mirror. If you find a position that feels more comfortable, then lay down with it to ensure that you maintain your seal, that is, no leaks. If it leaks, continue to adjust and experiment with the straps or holding mechanism until you feel a more comfortable fit. Good luck with your mask and happy sleeping!

2 comments:

  1. So, do people ever stop needing to use a CPAP? Even though I love being able to sleep soundly, it still sometimes becomes uncomfortable. Plus, I worry that there are some health practices I should be following to eliminate the need for airway support!

    Thanks for this great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO I really DID experiment this week, instead of just complaining!!

    I got things tightened up a bit, because I was noticing that the mask is shifting and leaking when I turn at night.

    Well, it stopped leaking, stopped shifting, but now I have gone too far the other way! I have a sore spot next to my nose!

    My question is: have you tried the ones that just go into the nostrils?

    And ALSO, my main CPAP contact at this point is a company in Jacksonville that sells the equipment. Can they refit me? It has been 5 years I think since I was originally fitted, and I wonder if a refitting is a good plan.

    ReplyDelete