Thursday, June 10, 2010

Alcohol As A Sleep Aid Q&A

Another good question from a reader which reads:

I feel as if I can't goto sleep unless I have a few drinks. My mind start to race and think to much. I dont really have the snoring issues, but would really like to know is there another way of relaxing my brain without having to drink a six pack before I can goto bed?

My response:

The Sleep Doctors I worked with in the past would recommend to some people to have a glass of wine or two in order to help get to sleep. Personally, I think this is a better way to get to sleep than taking any kind of pills. Let me add a caviot here: DON'T MIX SLEEPING PILLS(or any pills for that matter) AND ALCOHOL!!!

Considering today's fast paced, high stress, and generally busy way of life, it is understandable that people get stressed and have difficulty getting into a sleepy state of mind. To a certain extent, it's okay to have some alcohol to help unwind and let go a long day's toil.

This is a difficult subject to comment on in general. Only you know how alcohol effects you and if you should be drinking at all. Before you go open the wine bottle, have a look at the topic entitled, "Alcohol and Sleep Apnea".

As far as finding another way to relax your brain before you sleep, well that's a tough one. Some people read, some people watch TV, and some even sit quietly outside and look at the stars. Only you can find what makes you relax. Some experimentation may be in order.


As always, your comments and questions are welcome. As you can see the questions can be diverse around here.

2 comments:

  1. Learning meditation has helped me a lot with insomnia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleep aidsshould never be taken with alcohol,it can be a deadly mix. Because alcohol and sleeping pills are both sedatives, your body receives a double dose of sedatives. These both just do not mix well with one another and the end result can be more dangerous.

    ReplyDelete