Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sudden Movement or Jerk When Falling Asleep

It was summertime, and I was sitting on a plane headed to Detroit from Orlando. It was an early morning flight, so I was still a little sleepy. I remember it was hot out. The air conditioning coming out of the vents on the plane felt good. With nothing else going on, I decided a little cat nap couldn't hurt. The next thing I know, my arms and legs jumped and I took in a quick breath. Once I looked around and realized nobody was trying to get my attention and that the plane wasn't crashing, I concluded that I dozed off for a moment. When I fell asleep, I had a sudden movement or jerk. I think most of us have experienced this at one time or another.

This is called a hypnic jerk or sleep start. This happens when somebody transitions from wake to sleep and is considered normal. If you don't do it, no worries that's normal too.




Questions and comments are welcome. Remember, a little research goes a long way when it comes to your health and health care. Reading what people have to offer when it comes to healthy sleep is a good idea. The more you know, the more comfortable you can be with your outcome(s) and treatment(s), especially when it comes to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment