Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Deviated Septums and Sleep Apnea

I've performed literally thousands of sleep studies including titration studies. A recognizable portion of those diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) also had a deviated septum. What is a deviated septum?
The septum is the divider inside your nose (between your nostrils roughly). When your septum is deviated, that means it is not in the normal position. This can be caused from trauma or could be a developmental abnormality. Take a look at the image below. Notice the septum (center of the nose) is not straight up and down directly in the middle of the nose. This constitutes a deviated septum. Does a deviated septum cause sleep apnea? I can't say for sure. But, I can offer some logic.


Looking at the term "Obstructive Sleep Apnea", the term obstruction stands out. Dictionary.com defines obstruction as "something that obstructs, blocks, or closes up with an obstacle or obstacles; obstacle or hindrance." Looking at the image, you can see how the deviation or bend in septum can hinder airflow. If the airflow is limited here, any other obstruction in the airway could reduce airflow that much further. Intuitively, it seems a deviated septum may make one more susceptible to OSA.
When is comes to xPAP treatment, OSA, and a deviated septum, it is no problem. XPAP works well when it comes to this. It is the perfect device to make sure enough air goes through the airway, no matter how small. I've seen many successful titrations on patients with deviated septums.
Your questions and comments are always welcome. Remember, education is the best way to make your treatment more successful. Have a surf around the Internet!

4 comments:

  1. I have a severely deviated septum. I try to breathe through my nose. In fact since starting cpap in May I've noticed that when I go to bed my mouth clamps shut to try to force breathing through my nose. But there comes a time when I just don't have enough air and have to gulp for breath. During the titration study they made me wear a nasal mask, and I titrated at 14. I asked though when I finally got my equipment for a full-face mask. I wonder if the pressure should be adjusted differently for the full-face instead of the nasal mask? I'm going to ask the doctor that at my next visit, but wondered about your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough question, but here it goes. No, your pressure does not have to be adjusted. Your CPAP therapy should continue to help you breathe freely. But, would a lower pressure work? Intuition tells me that if the machine doesn't have to overcome blowing through the small opening in your nose, you may need less pressure. The only way I can think of to test this is to have another titration study with the full face mask. If you end up doing this, make sure you are comfortable with your full face mask and that it seals properly the entire night before having another sleep study.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sleep expert,

    I have a deviated septum. I want to get it operated & straighten it. Does it change the way my nose looks??. Also, what kind of surgery should I go for??. Kindly help

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Read! I liked all your blogs, . i am sandra working as a Nutritionist for Natural sleep aids

    ReplyDelete