Thursday, June 24, 2010

Which mask is for me? (Conquering Demons)

In real estate, the saying is, "Location, location, location". When you are trying to find the right CPAP/BiPAP/xPAP mask for yourself, the saying is, "Experimentation, experimentation, experimentation". I had to try four different masks before I found the right one for me.

At first, I thought I knew what I wanted. I know I didn't want a Full Face Mask because I don't like to breathe through my mouth. I didn't want to use Nasal Pillows because I felt peculiar about something sticking into my nostrils. The thought was embarrassing to me for some reason. I was absolutely sure the Nasal Mask/Triangle Mask was for me and there was no need for further thought. Boy, was I wrong!!! It was like choosing my favorite book by only looking at the cover.

I started off with the Nasal/Triangle Mask. It felt good. I knew I had to get used to it and it wasn't going to be perfect the first night. I tried it for a few nights and noticed my nose and face were sore here and there. I began looking at other masks then. I found another Nasal/Triangle that was softer on my pressure points and it was more adjustable. Perfect! I gave that one a try for a few days with better results than the previous! I was sleeping better and better.

So, I found a comfortable Nasal/Triangle and I was able to wear it all night. Now I noticed that I'm not sleeping in the position that I am most comfortable in. I like to be on my side with my face more into the pillow than the Nasal/Triangle would allow. Once again, the search was on to find "the perfect mask". My quest then led me to re-visit my embarrassing demon, Nasal Pillows. The more I looked at the variety of Nasal Pillows, the more "acceptable" it was to me and they would allow me to sleep in the position I wanted.

I gave myself a pep talk which included: "you know what you're doing now", "things have gotten better with every try", "what have you got to lose?". Fast forward to my first night with nasal pillows. Things went well. I slept in the positions that I was more comfortable in. I did have to adjust the mask a few times because I was resting more heavily on the side of my face. But, no problem. It went better than I thought! After a couple of nights, I realized I had a recurring problem. The Nasal Pillows kept on popping out the front of my nose. No matter how I adjusted the headgear and the pillows it kept happening. In my head, the gears began turning once again. My research directed me towards a brand of Nasal Pillows that had a specific adjustment for my problem. I tried a set of "those", aka Swift FX, and obtained the balance I was looking for!
The morals of this story are: finding the right mask for you is an evolution, keep an open mind, and do your research for it will pay off. Have a look around the internet at all the suppliers and online stores for masks and gear. They advertise all over the place!
Have a look at my other blog. I'm reviewing and reporting on different masks from different companies. I'm trying to add at least 2 a week. If you don't see one that interests you, be sure to check back. You can find it at:http://www.cpapmaskreview.blogspot.com/
As always, questions and comments are welcome!












5 comments:

  1. Good entry. One question that occurs to me when I think about experimentation is: The first mask I got was "prescribed" and the size was determined by a person at the supply store. Also, like all medical equipment, it can be a little expensive. Can you tell me more about what to expect if I go to the supply store and say I want to try other types? Will they help me find the right size if it's not on an order from my doctor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog. I just found out I am allergic to the straps of my Probasics mask (they contain neoprene.) Do you know where I can find out what masks and straps are made of, so I can avoid it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to sharing probasics cpap machine features and way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cpap masks are an important component which are placed over the nose or the mouth for delivering the air pressure, that can be adjusted according to the breathing behavior of the patient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Usually, I never comment on blogs but your blog is very convincing so I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re really doing a great job. If you are looking for the best selling auto pressure CPAP machines in Australia, then you are in the right place. Shop the best product with us!

    ReplyDelete